[thelist] More Smart Tags

John Meyer john_meyer at geocities.com
Mon Jun 25 10:35:20 CDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, you wrote:

> One solution is a browser downgrade campaign.
> "please use a version 5 or earlier browser to view our site"
> No I'm not really serious here, but it is an option.

You might be onto something here.  If you can identify a web browser to see a
mininum, I don't see why you couldn't do the reverse, at least in ASP.  Check
the browser, if it's 6 or above, redirect them to a protest site.
However,  I'd think there would be a far greater copyright issue in the Smart
Tags.  Suppose I have a Linux site, and Microsoft links that mention of Linux
to a document "10 reasons to dump Linux in favor of Microsoft", among others.
Wouldn't that portray to a reader that I was actually against Microsoft, or
even if you assume that it didn't, it would give Microsoft a way to use _my_
platform to speak their views.