[thelist] Some FACTS on Smart Tags (I just downloaded the browser)

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Mon Jun 25 12:15:38 CDT 2001

Here's the REAL deal, based on my experience with the new IE 6.0 Preview.

First, I went to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/preview/default.asp and
clicked "Download It"

- Installation went flawlessly, and I needed to restart.

- The first time I opened the browser, it brought up a little promo for MSN.
I closed the browser, and opened it again.  My default homepage was
restored.

- Upon loading my homepage, http://www.lemonde.fr/ (I'm trying to learn
French), a dialog popped up, telling me about the new privacy features in IE
6.0.  There was a link to explain cookies, and a link to the privacy
settings.

- Privacy setting has an entire tab in the Preferences.  It defaults to
"Medium", which blocks all third party cookies which do not have a published
privacy policy (P3P protocol, a W3C standard)

- Smart tags...they're off by default.  And there is no preference to
override the meta tag blocker.  Guess that bitching and moaning was a little
premature.

- I turned on the Smart Tags, and went to MSN.com...I thought that this
would be the best place to see them.  But I didn't see anything yet.  It's
because Microsoft does not bundle Smart Tags with the browser.  You have to
download them.

- I went to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/preview/ie6/smarttags.asp to
download a set of Smart Tags.  I installed them, checked to make sure that
Smart Tags were enabled, and then closed and reopened my browser.  I went to
both MSN.com and ESPN.com, but I couldn't find any Smart Tags anywhere.

In conclusion, IE 6.0 looks to be a rock solid browser with a number of
INNOVATIVE (c'mon I dare you...) privacy features.

You can download it, and check it out for yourself.

Back to coding...

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com (http://www.surveymonkey.com)