[thelist] More Smart Tags

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Mon Jun 25 13:48:29 CDT 2001

<<
1. Site owners and browser users should be allowed to opt-in only. Don't
force me and things won't seem forced.

It IS opt-in.  Smart tags are OFF by default.  You have to know they exist,
and go under Preferences -> Advanced Options.  And if the website owner
doesn't want Smart tags, the user can't override the meta tag.  (At least
that's the way it was when I downloaded and installed IE6 Preview.)

<<
2. The inclusion of Smart Tags is "a modification or derivitave work" of the
original content of a site (according to legal beagles who called me in to
chat about this and wanted me to begin adding the opt-out meta-tag
immediately even though the new site design is due out very quickly) and
therefore represents a copyright violation.

If the user turns on Smart tags, then wouldn't the USER be modifying your
work?  Or is it the company that facilitates the modification?  (Napster
argument.)

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com (http://www.surveymonkey.com)