[thelist] .bat file for auto running CD

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 25 13:52:44 CDT 2001

> Message: 11
> From: "Kevin" <krr at ix.netcom.com>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:24:12 -0700
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Subject: [thelist] .bat file for auto running CD
>
> I used to have a collection of .bat files I used to auto run my CD's.
>
> They were simple enough, Just a pointer to the file in question
> and one additional file bundled in to make the whole thing work.
>
> Looking around the web I can't seem to hit the search word combination
> so that I can find them again.
>
> Can you advise
> I would also like to add the one line to the file so that it specifically
> loads IE instead of the users default browser. Is this possible?
>
> Thank You
> Kevin

I quoted the wrong file for auto spinning CD's

What I was looking for was an .inf file and a 32bit utility used for such
purposes.

The information I was looking for is as follows. I'll quote it as a tip,
for anyone else that might be interested.

I would like to take this one step further however!

I want the .inf file to open a specific application.
That is to say I want the Cd-rom to open IE instead of the users default
browser.

Is this possible?

Before any of you start pointing out security considerations I would point
out
that this is a predetermined audience and IE 5+ have specific tools that are
needed.

Thank You
Kevin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<tip>
Launch Tools - 32bit
http://www.ded.com/nonags/launch32.html#Runshell

Updated: Jan 01, 2001
 Homepage:
 Author: John Krutsch
quickly and easily. It was originally designed for use with presentations
that where run from CD's. When you use it with an autorun.inf file you can
have any file autorun not just .exe's. You can choose to autorun web pages,
powerpoint presentations, spreadsheets, or even plain old documents. A
typical auto.inf file that uses runshell would look like this:

OPEN=RUNSHELL.EXE yourFile.ext
ICON=YOURICON.ICO

Where yourFile.ext is any file. Depending on its file extension the machine
should open the file with its associated application. I tested this on .txt,
.htm, .ppt, .doc, .xls, .mdb and a bunch of others and it worked slick.

If you don't specify a file to open in the command line argument, or if the
path is not valid, runshell simply ignores your request and turns itself
off.
</tip>