[thelist] More Smart Tags

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Mon Jun 25 14:08:39 CDT 2001

>If the user turns on Smart tags, then wouldn't the USER be >modifying your work?  Or is it the company that >facilitates the modification?  (Napster argument.)

I had asked this question of them, and I am not sure Ryan, they were discussing this (in a rather heated fashion) as I departed from the room. Corporate lawyers have a distinctly different view of things, so I will wait for the dust to settle.

When they asked my opinion I said that I did not want to host a competitor's tags, nor would they (the competitor) want to host ours. I understand that that the option is 'off' in the version you have, but earlier versions were 'on' by default...and who is to say that will not change? Even if the user has to select to opt-in should we be forced to insert additional lines of code within our pages to prevent that on our site?

Name one tag that we have to do that with now...

Jay Blanchard
Thermon Industries, Inc.
1.800.820.HEAT x327