[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 14:40:29 CDT 2001

Thank you very much, Erik and Martin for your help. I've trimmed this as
much as I can, but please just email me if this should go off-list and you
can provide any more insight.  Apologies for the length.

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>

> Just downloaded a story ... a few weird things:
> In Netscape 4.7 Mac, the first time I clicked a link to a story, a
> new browser window opened and I was prompted to save the file in the
> Netcape folder. Second and third times, everything worked fine.

I'm terribly sorry, but could you define "worked fine"?  For me, "worked
fine" means it opened in a browser window straigh away, and I take it this
isn't what's happening on Planet Mac.

> Two Horrible things happen for me in IE 5 Mac:
> The file is always saved as links_goto.asp.

I know :o(  It seems that you can drag this to ClarisWorks and it opens,
though. If you go straight to the .rtf file [
http://www.satinslippers.com/forums/mods/uploaded/MaidenPieria/latentimage.r
tf ] skipping the whole links > database > hitcount interaction (which I
don't want to do), my Mac people still have to drag it somewhere to open it.
What *should* be happening?

> Second thing might have been because I had messed with the file
> helper preferences, but don't remember doing so: The file was saved
> with my default text editor as it's creator (BBEdit) ... I changed
> the setting for TEXT/richtext to open in Word (it's still saved as
> links_goito.asp though).

I sooooo don't understand this. What should an RTF file be opening in?  I
thought it would be Word if you had Word and Claris if you didn't and had to
do the drag-n-drop thing, but I seem stuck with drag-n-drop regardless. Is
that SOP for Macs?

> From: Martin <martin at members.evolt.org>

> >A user reports that "Come on, Jeannie, its for my birthday!" reads as:
> > ìCome on, Jeannie, its for my birthday.î

> Yup. Curly quotes alright.

> Windows and MacOS handle them differently (and I'm not sure
> RTF handles them at *all* as it's ASCII which doesn't support
> curly quotes), so you'll get mistranslation between platforms.

How do I get rid of them and make them straight quotes? <willing, but not
able!>

Cheers,
Bri