[thelist] Smart Tags- Go on the offensive, not defensive

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 25 15:28:50 CDT 2001

bradclark1 wrote on 25/6/01 11:50 pm

>If your page has "copyright" on it, can't microsoft be forced to
>automatically disable the Smart Tags irregardless of what the surfer wants?

Basic IP law - copyright is held in all works, regardless of whether
they're registered or display a copyright notice, or the (c) sign.

So from your logic (and I'm not saying it's bad logic), MS would
be forced to automatically disable Smart Tags on all pages where
rights to copy etc aren't explictly given.

I wonder if there's a P3P-like XML mechanism for communicating
IP rights to the UA...

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland