[thelist] More Smart Tags

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 25 16:45:59 CDT 2001

> From: Martin <martin at members.evolt.org>
>
> >> Imagine if I *removed* all the links from your site?
> >
> >you can... you want the bookmarklet to do that?
>
> OK. Can I ensure it works for the majority of IE6
> users too?

huh?

[...]
> >i'm in no way saying it's *easy* or even commonly known, but we have
> >to look at it from a different angle... the fact is, there are other
> >browsers and nothing is stopping people from getting them...
>
> *cough* locked down corporate environments *cough*

well, then that's a decision being imposed by someone else... and
if the company has a problem with their staff seeing SmartTags,
they'll do something... if the same company doesn't care about
other peoples' sites, they won't do a thing...

this is part of the strength of the MS position... it's easy to prove
that a user can easily circumvent it, it's hard to prove that they
won't...

> I've known enough people who've *never* been online except
> through their company's infrastructure. Sad gits IMO, but
> true nevertheless (but why shell out your own cash when
> the company gives you a laptop and an ISDN line which they
> pay for? Sweet)
>
> >we all know damn well they won't... but that's not the issue...
>
> It is, sadly. If the vast majority of users are locked in
> (even if it's by laziness), then it's still the same end
> result.

see above...