[thelist] Visual Basic

sales at iibiz.com sales at iibiz.com
Mon Jun 25 18:02:21 CDT 2001

Well, also from eweek June18th, it appears Microsoft is making LOTs of
changes:
(And I don't know anything about VB, just thought I'd share what I read)

"While some programmers say Visual Basic.Net, the new iteration of VB, is a
necessary change to keep up with the times and accelerate development,
others call the language an "abomination" that is unnecessarily complex and
different.  Many of the .Net changes, such as altering the definitions of
keywords and data types, are unnecessary, and will break existing code.

The first .Net beta release included more than 70 changes to the way VB has
traditionally worked.  In response to complaints, Microsoft pulled back a
few of the changes, including a change in the value of the constant true.

Tom Button, the first VB product manager and now vice president of developer
tools for Microsoft, acknowledged .Net may be a difficult transition for
"meat and potatoes" developers, but said that the Internet's requirements
are so different that Microsoft didn't want to settle for incremental
changes.

"To open up a brave new world, we're going to do brave new things with our
development tools," Button said."

Hope this new release doesn't cause any of you VB guys heartache,
Sandy