[thelist] Didja know??

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 25 20:46:11 CDT 2001

: From: Anthony Baratta
: I understand what you are saying here.  I'm
: self taught and prone to shortcuts. ;-)

same here.  it always helps to go back and brush up on the basics though.

: So should I be mad at Netscape for allowing
: me to write bad code, or IE for not allowing
: me to write bad code??? LOL

that's a first eh?  it seems like it's always the other way around.

<tip type="ColdFusion" author=".jeff">

need to build a file import utility to allow a client to upload a text file
and have it imported into a database?  don't bother with string
manipulations to extract the contents of the text file into rows and
columns.  there's a great cfx tag available on allaire's developers exchange
called cfx_cvstoquery.  you pass it the name of the file to parse, the
column delimiter, the text qualifier (whether the columns are wrapped in
single-quotes, for example), and the name of the variable to put the results
into and it creates a query resultset that you can work with in a familiar
way.  it even takes startrow and maxrows values so you can retrieve certain
chunks of the file in your resultset.

good luck,

jeff at members.evolt.org