[thelist] Smart Tags- Go on the offensive, not defensive

bradclark1 bradclark1 at msn.com
Mon Jun 25 23:50:41 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Freda Lockert" <freda at appleonline.net>

> >  If they modify you site without your permission, wouldn't that be an
> >infringement of your copyright or your
> >Intellectual Property? They are modifying what is not theirs to modify.
> >Or, can they be billed per user click from your site like a banner ad
> >because that is essentially what it is.
> > Snip

: "Freda Lockert" said
> Plausible but ... I'm in UK, someone in Oz is looking at my site with
> Smart Tags showing. Who has jurisdiction? Do I sue M$, through our
> High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords?
>
> On the other hand, maybe I could charge M$ and set the unpaid bill
> against tax??
>
> Freda

You me and 30,000 other people send in bills to microsoft. It will cost
34cents to be a pain. 60p plus for you I should imagine. It will cost them a
fourtune to open every bill and do a reply. Spend another 34cents to send a
complaint to your State Attorney General. For 68cents you are making your
feelings known. Multiply that 30,000 times and there will be a lot of pissed
off people in Redmond.
It would be a nightmare for their publicity people. It will make all the
news services and that will cause some serious unwanted attention for
microsoft.
One pebble does not hurt a giant. 30,000 pebbles will put a hurting on him.
If you were in their shoe's what would you do?

brad