Not for long (was Re: [thelist] More Smart Tags)

Jamie Bakum jamie.bakum at circle.com
Tue Jun 26 07:38:19 CDT 2001

> Jamie wrote:
>
>> There's a big difference between: "My CSS looks terrible on this guy's
>> browser" and "My CSS sent him a link to MSNBC" ;-)
>
>and Greg responded:

> Not for long.  Check out CSS3 "behaviors" ;)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-becss-19990804

Ahhh, a good point that exposes my less than stellar knowledge of the CSS
spec .....but that scenario would still be at the behest of the page creator
(or the end user, browsing with their own stylesheet), niether of which I'd
have any trouble with.

My beef isn't with this Smart Tag functionality per se, it's the manner in
which it's being implemented by a third party to make potential decisions
about my content without my knowledge or input.

But all our chatter (especially mine ;-) isn't worth a cup of coffee until
we see how all this plays out. It certainly seems to be making enough noise
that MS can't be oblivious to the uproar.
---

Jamie