[thelist] Re: Smart Tags- Go on the offensive, not defensive

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Jun 26 13:17:06 CDT 2001

Partial solution? ... I think you misunderstood the gist of my post,
maybe others did too: I didn't mean to go get counted if you're a
Linux user, rather that if people made the decision not to be
Microsoft customers ... well MS wouldn't have any customers!

Where would MS's bottom line be if instead of (or in addition to)
bringing a lawsuit, the States that participated simply stopped
buying Microsoft products? If every developer who has major gripes
against MS simply used non-MS product to fulfill their needs? Or even
if those parties made a concerted effort to do so?

For some reason it didn't completely sink in that I was contributing
to the problem until I realized that I had to spend three times as
much on Win 2K to get the Server version even though I wasn't going
to use it as a server ... and this Smart Tag idea came to light.

Yesterday, I saw Shrek (made with Linux, great movie too!
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2761566,00.html) and
picked up The IDG Red Hat 7.1 Bible ... skimmed the installing
chapter and a few howtos ... installing it was _disappointingly easy_
... been poking around X-Windows today ... neat ... like Windows but
way cooler and not just because it's not MS!

Red Hat Linux can do a "partitionless install"
...<http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/install-guide/s1-part-less-installation.html >
<http://www.holambra.freeserve.co.uk/installation-guide/appendix-a.html>

.. where you can do a full Read Hat distro installation along side an
existing Windows installation - when you want to start up off of
Linux, you insert a floppy created at the end of the install process.
Groovy!

 From an uber-newbie just a few wee hours old, I'd suggest those who
haven't given Linux a shot to try it out if for no other reason than
the novelty of seeing another operating system on your computer.
Plenty of people on this list will be super happy to answer
questions, I'm sure.

(remember Rosa Parks? She was fed up! So are you!)

(unfortunately I've lined M$ pocket's more in the last month than in
my entire previous life ... but no more ... last straw)

(guilty)

(um, never sent an email or made a gif with anything but a Mac)

--

- Erik Mattheis

Weaning self off M$.
Learning Linux,.