[thelist] More Smart Tags

Gord Grisenthwaite sparky_t at telus.net
Tue Jun 26 17:54:17 CDT 2001

Hey:

<<
My issue of concern is that Microsoft are making it easy and acceptable,
even encouraging the user to take pictures from my site and redistribute
them.

Copying pics from sites is no different from clipping them from periodicals
or newspapers. How you re-present them is the issue that makes the
difference between fair use and theft. If I download an image from your site
and display it on mine without acknowledging its source, that's ignorance on
my part, and I imply that it's my work. If I claim the work as mine, I have
stolen it, making me guilty of theft of intellectual property or plagiarism.
How is taking a copy of an image for my own use, as wallpaper, as a
motivational piece, or whatever wrong, theft, or otherwise unethical?

Presenting the button as a feature is simple marketing. Why right click and
select save picture as, when you click on a button?

Microsoft caters to computer illiterates, business users, and newbies, and
also encourages the use of MS themes <shudder>, MS designed templates and
wizards. Microsoft encourages the users of its products to take the easy way
out. (I doubt that there is a better way to lead sheep.)

If you are concerned about how your images might or mightn't be used, viewed
or abused, don't post them.

Cheers,

Gord Grisenthwaite