[thelist] CDONTS.NewMail recipient limit

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Thu Jun 28 10:40:19 CDT 2001

Hi Scottie,

> From: "Scott Dexter" <sgd at ti3.com>
> Subject: RE: [thelist] CDONTS.NewMail recipient limit
>

> > Why don't you try a loop instead of 300 bcc's?
> > If your customers are in a database, set up a recordset, then
> > loop through
> > it and send each one a CDONTS.NewMail ...
>
> Wrong place to do the processing, and would take tons longer to complete
> than letting the mail server do the work.

Yeah, ouch. Though, one of the guys in Marketing just asked if we could
personalize each message with the person's first name. At least he didn't
ask for HTML-formatted email.

Crap. He just did. And attachments!!!

> Hey Matt, why not spin a mail with 400, 500, 1000 email addys (even if
> they're fake) and see if it pukes?

Won't I get 400 bounced emails then? Or should I just use
sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com... ?

;-)

> Also, I don't think the CDONTS.NewMail object will be the one complaining
> (if anything),

Well, I was thinking there might be a string size limit, if anything.

> You using the IIS SMTP server?

Yup. All I found on the SMTP server for IIS is
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmes/html/msdn_introcdo.asp?frame=t
rue and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cdo/html/_denali_cdo_for_nts_library
.asp?frame=true both of which *seem* to suggest that the server for CDO
libraries and the SMTP Server for IIS aren't the same thing. I have NFI,
since you don't have to specify an SMTP server for CDONTS.NewMail.

*shrug*

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com