[thelist] javascript:// :is it necessary?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Jun 28 12:58:30 CDT 2001

Chris,

> Not that they built the entire browser on top of the event handler, but
they
> certainly introduced support for it. IE3 didn't support the onmouseover
> event while at the same time Netscape 3(?) did. IE4 _did_ support the
> onmouseover event.

    Admittedly, this is a bit of a nit-pick because I think I know what you
are arguing here. But, for the record, IE 3 did support the onmouseover
event on the <a> element (as did Netscape 2, btw). But most versions of IE 3
(if not all) did not support the images collection (or images array, to use
traditional Netscape parlance), which is why you can't do image rollovers in
IE 3 short of using an applet or a control (hence the origin of those
dreaded java hover buttons used in FrontPage -- but that's another topic
altogether :).

James Aylard