[thelist] Pontification on object and method detection (was: Wanted: thedefi

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Fri Jun 29 11:27:03 CDT 2001

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> That is true, but you shouldn't rely on version numbers. For instance,
> Netscape 4 and Explorer 4 both support JavaScript 1.3 (1.2 in old versions),
> but nonetheless even the biggest imagination can't maintain that they
> support the same JavaScript. Therefore I don't find the JavaScript versions
> helpful at all and I never use them.

Heh. Indeed - a good argument against using the JavaScript versioning.
One browsers JavaScript1.3 may not be anothers'.

> The version number simply does not have a direct relation with the supported
> objects and methods, while object/method detection does.

Well stated.

> BTW: I couldn't find the original message of this thread. What script is it
> about?

Paola's script is here. It's a novel approach to a mouseover. And the
list of browsers it *works* in continues to grow. This despite the fact
that it's not necessarily the most sound logically.
http://www.limitless.co.uk/~paola/tmp/thelist/

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com