[thelist] Concept of website

Richard Bennett mail at richardinfo.com
Fri Jun 29 19:11:21 CDT 2001

Hi,
As fellow webworker from Belgium I had to reply to this, I think we're the
only ones :o)

One thing I'd like to point out is, to avoid the mistakes I made, I started
out with a temporary site to see how things went, too.
The URL was temporary , and I used a redirect to point to it.
The server was slow but that didn't matter for the little traffic there was.
As things started to grow, I added a second server, to spread the load.

The result of this is that anybody's bookmarks, and the search engine
results don't actually contain the real url, but one of the mirror
addresses.
And then I did some site reshuffling, only later I found out that this
caused a lot of dead links on pages linking to mine, so I had to add those
files back in, which has made the whole thing a real mess, with very
fragmented search engine results.

I think the moral of the story, is to get your URL hosted, not redirected,
to choose a server that can expand with your needs, and think carefully
about the layout of the directory-structure of the site, so you don't have
to change these fundamentals once you go multi-language, or whatever.

Cheers,
Richard Bennett

mail at richardinfo.com
www.richardinfo.com