[thelist] IIS, Cookies and html pages

databarn databarn at airmail.net
Fri Jun 29 19:17:30 CDT 2001

Bob,

Just a follow-up.  Friend and I were having a discussion ab. tracking such as your client wants (wanted?).  As we went through the steps, we came to the realization that this method (the database rerouting) pretty well negates caching inaccuracies.  Even if the page is cached, the request still has to come through the database, so the actual request count can be assumed to be a lot more accurate.  Yeah, yeah, bookmarks and other factors make it less than 100%, but it's still a bunch better than logfile analysis - if you can stand the overhead of traffic and SQL calls.  There could be a pretty heavy downside in bandwidth if you were, say, CNET, YAHOO!, or some such.  Anything around 4K to 10K requests per hour should be ok, though.  (Bear in mind that my friend has had a couple of Black Russians and I've had a beer or three, so there may be faults (alcoholic foggery) in our logic <grin!>.)

Make a good day . . .
			 . . . barn
Reality: A crutch for people who can't face the web.