[thelist] Linux flavor

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Wed Jul 4 01:46:53 CDT 2001

On 7/3/2001 10:33 PM -0500 Jason Whitman <jason at bigfatsite.com> wrote:

> Looking to get a Linux machine set up but thought (knew) you all
> would have opinions on whose flavor to use.  I've read good things
> about Mandrake and SuSE, and there's always Red Hat.

Debian is my personal favorite for a desktop machine. Slackware is
probably the best if you *really* want to learn what you're doing. I
use both on a regular basis. Slackware 8 was just released and the
freeze for Debian 3 has just begun.

If you want my thoughts on the newbie Linux issue check this out:

<wrappedURL>
http://www.geeknews.net/comments.php?op=showreply&tid=4716&sid=1904&pid
=4713&mode=&order=&thold=#4716
</wrappedURL>

Of course, almost everyone disagrees with me :).

Good luck,
Toby