[thelist] Site Root & Document Root

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Thu Jul 5 17:21:07 CDT 2001

> I may be misunderstanding entirely, but the three main ways we can
> refer to addresses are:
>
> --  a fully-qualified absolute address ("http://www.yadda...")
>
> --  an address relative to the root of the site on the server
>
> --  an address relative to the document requesting the file
>
> That last one, the document-relative address, can change with each
> document that requests dependent files, so I'm not sure what a
> "document root" would be. I'm probably just not understanding what's
> being sought, though, sorry.
>
> jd

You're right, it is confusing. But you're right only on the first definition
in certain circles. If the conversation includes server addressing,
particularly on a RaQ, "root" refers to the /root/ directory at the base
of the server tree since it is named "root", site.root to one level
above document.root which commonly refers to the root of public
documents on the site.

The box Marcus is working on has the path structure
root/home/sites/site101/web
He's referring to "site101" as the site.root and "web" as being the
root of public documents in that tree. That's common nomenclature
on a RaQ3/4 where the "site" technically begins at site101 and
public documents (document.root) begin at web.

If I understood Marcus's problem, he wants a siteManagement tool
that will download every directory in site101 and yet still see "web"
as the starting directory for the site. siteManagement tools assume
that the base directory you point them to is the site's root and build
relative addressing from that point, and in his need that is not the
case.

It's not really an uncommon problem. Suppose you store sensitive
files at site101 to keep the webserver from delivering them to
prying eyes. You want to download those files to a local
development environment since scripts within the domain will need
to read the data in those files. I agree with Marcus, I've yet to see a
siteManagement tool that will do that and not get confused about
where the site's public root begins.

keith

cache at dowebs.com
WebSitePad.com
edit and manage your site from your browser