[thelist] DSN Less to DSN (XML thanks to all)

sgd sgd at ti3.com
Fri Jul 6 11:38:05 CDT 2001

> I just finished an E-commerce site and I do have a problem...
> The whole site was developed as a DSN Less site and I am now wondering
> how to convert it to DSN and secure the e-store properly.

Not really a security issue, unless you're exposing the connection string to
the browser er something. --Citing performance as the reason is debatable
(I've seen good arguments on both sides), but I'd say going to a DSN is a
Good Thing, simply because of the management (centralized).

> Does it involve a lot of changes to the code? Do I have to have any
> information provided by the host?

Oh! You're hosted --you may be hosed. Your host will have to set up the DSN,
and they may or may not want to do that. Yer gonna hafta check with them.
Also keep in mind that depending on the kind of DSN set up and how your host
has got things configured, /other people/ hosted there may have access to
it. I've not gone down the road of setting up an MS-based ISP like this, so
I'm not sure of all the implications, but I'd get a super-dude at your ISP
on the phone and ask him/her 'bout it. (Yes, paranoia is a good thing)

Hand-waving aside-- I'd throw the connection string into your global.asa's
Application_OnStart routine, setting an Application scope variable to it,
and go home for the day.

sgd