[thelist] liability and the web

PageHealer pagehealer at pagehealer.com
Fri Jul 6 15:34:15 CDT 2001

Beau,

In our contracts, we limit the liability to the amount paid to us. I think
this is a reasonable approach, because they could get *something* back from
us if all hell broke loose, but not more than what we were responsible for.

A company I previously worked at approached this the same way. Of course,
neither they nor we have ever been to court regarding this, so I can't
guarantee that it would always hold up.

I would recommend that you draft a contract that you feel good about, then
have a lawyer review it. They will do this fairly quickly and inexpensively
(relative to what they would charge to write it from scratch) and can help
you iron out any problematic areas.

Writing the contract yourself also helps you keep the legalese to a minimum.
I feel it's best to have a contract that is clear and thorough, but written
in plain English so both you and the client fully understand what is being
agreed upon. If you are not providing hosting services, for example, put
that in your contract, and avoid technical terminology that could cloud the
issue or confuse the client about what your actual intentions are.

Emily

http://www.pagehealer.com

PageHealer, LLC
Web design consultants to small businesses and non-profit organizations.