[thelist] Re: ColdFusion and PhP

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sun Jul 8 15:21:32 CDT 2001

> From: "Eveline Vanhemel" <eveline_vanhemel at pi.be>
> Subject: [thelist] Re: ColdFusion and PhP
>

> A few days ago, I had a conversation with my employer and we both agreed
> that by the end of this year, we would change from NT to UNIX. This means
> am going to have to do quite some studying the next months but I think
that
> in the end I won't regret it. So, now comes the question about CF and PHP.
>
> What I would like to do, is while studying, changing the site along with
it,
> but since the site is still running on NT, I would like to know, which
> direction is the easiest way to take?
>
> The best solution would be if I could write the code now to run on NT but
if
> we change next year to the UNIX platform, it has to be possible to move
the
> site with as less as possible adaptations. So, with that in mind, what
> should I choose? CF or PHP?

Either, really. Though, one ChiliASP for *nix license might be cheaper than
two CF licenses and you could stick with ASP. And PHP would be completely
free (I believe. The Windows version might have a minimal cost associated
with it for commercial sites.). But all three of these languages can run on
NT and Unix boxes. It all comes down to personal preference, really, and
weighing that against the cost of each option.

http://www.chilisoft.com/
http://www.allaire.com/
http://www.php.net

Check these out. Look at the languages. See which you like best and compare
that with the cost.

HTH,

--
mattwarden