[thelist] Re: ColdFusion and PhP

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Sun Jul 8 15:56:04 CDT 2001

my .02£
I agree with the personal preference remarks.
However:

1. If you are going to want to use the language as a front end to a JAVA
layer (which does the business logic), Coldfusion seems the way to go.

2. If you want to develop complex websites, mmm... sorry, but PHP seems
better. The reason is that I work with a bunch of programmers (all a lot
better than me) with Coldfusion, and I have NEVER seen them use REAL
templates. (e.g. containing only HTML and placeholders). They always do
html mixed with content mixed with CFtags (e.g. business logic). That seems
wrong to me, once you've seen the power of separating them out....
When I code a complex site, a real templating engine is a minimum. It seems
to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that Coldfusion just doesn't allow for that
in an easy way somehow.... It seems that Coldfusion, by making things
slightly "easier", does make it harder to develop a real good website
solution (where you can choose your template engine, your user
authentication, your this and that...)

Flame me if you like, that's just been my experience so far...
Peter

http://liga1.com building multiple language/culture websites
http://cms-watch.com content management systems beta
http://xmliseasy.com beta