[thelist] Size doesn't matter?

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Mon Jul 9 19:07:23 CDT 2001

Luther, Ron wrote:

>I'll add a few more wrinkles:
>
>'prototyping' ... Some yahoo takes three months to throw together some
>FrontPage crap running off static Excel spreadsheets to wow a local V-P.
>Naturally, they like it.  Now, you're the "bad guy" 'cuz you can't
>'productionize' it to run dynamically off the databases, document it, and
>train a world-wide base of users in less than a week.  What's wrong with
>you? I thought you knew this stuff.

Yep, I can relate with that. I'm currently struggling with getting a
full blown pay-per-view / subscription site for streaming and
downloadable video. They wanted the ecommerce, the category system,
database (with content - not provided), credit card processing, SSL,
misc. web pages, and complete documentation. On top of that, I've had to
deal with three team members all taking vacations at different times,
plus find time for my other responsibilities.

They say, "Sure you can do it, just use these horribly written modules
from previous failed applications and you can whip it together in no time."

I said I wanted 6 months to do it - they said have it done in three weeks.

Now begins week four.

I keep thinking, if their expectations are continually unrealistic - and
I can't make them see that - how can I help but look like an idiot?
Guess it's time to brush up that resume. Damn.

-Bruce

Did I mention that they want the site to be bi-lingual....?