[thelist] Flash Substitution & Detection

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:42:18 CDT 2001

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?flash.html

>Follow up question: What's the best way to detect Flash client-side? I hear
>it can be done sorta reliable with JS and/or VBScript. But the scripts I
>find at Macromedia ("Flash Deployment Kit") and other places on the web are
>too bloated for my taste and I don't know if they're any good. There *must*
>be some small neat script, right?

You need both JavaScript and VBScript, and even then it's not completely
reliable. Macromedia's scripts are really huge, bloated and sometimes Java
reliant, which is nonsense, to my mind.

My script (URL above) isn't really small, but it isn't terribly huge either.

ppk