[thelist] Flash Substitution & Detection

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Tue Jul 10 06:59:45 CDT 2001

The biggest problem with Flash detection that I have encountered is in the
case of users who have the Flash plug-in installed on their machines, but
who site behind a firewall that blocks Flash content.

Disclaimer: I have not worked with Flash for quite a while (several years)
so I have no idea if this is still the case. However having a high
proportion of corporate clients for a long time, the problem came up fairly
often. It may be that both firewall technology and how Flash streams have
both improved so that it gets through the vast majority of firewalls now.
Also, if your clients' users aren't business users this almost certainly
won't be a problem.

The scripts we were using would detect that Flash content was OK, try and
serve it, but it wouldn't get through the firewall, leaving the user looking
at a blank screen.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net