[thelist] Help with (Mac) Mapping a Member Area

Simon at Sentient Technologies sentient at keysdigital.com
Tue Jul 10 07:35:29 CDT 2001

Hello all,

One of our clients has a very large members-only area that they'd
like redesigned. It's grown over about a 5-year period and the
content has been added by several different people with
widely-varying skills and knowledge of good site design. What they'd
like is a new design and navigation system that makes the members
area seem more like it's all one area instead of a hundred different
sections all linked together.

Pretty standard task, but in this case there really is a lot of
content, there are a lot of pages that are only linked to maybe one
other page (we've already found some orphans linked to nothing at
all), and there is no central navigation system at all. Moreover, all
of the current content needs to be reused, nothing is to be lost.

We can handle doing all of the work required but we're looking for a
software tool for the Macintosh operating system that could make some
of the early work a lot easier. What we need is some good Mac site
mapping software that can look at the existing members area and
create a site map showing us everything that's there now and how each
file is linked to other files.

We have a complete copy of the 6 gigabyte members area on a Firewire
drive so we don't have to worry about the mapping software being able
to get through the password access. Does anyone out there have some
Macintosh site mapping software that they'd recommend for something
like this?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Simon

Sentient Technologies - mailto:sentient at keysdigital.com