[thelist] alternate gif image in Flash

Nathan Steiner nsteiner at web-graphics.com
Wed Jul 11 01:03:02 CDT 2001

Amanda,

There are two questions here with different answers:

1) To use the publish feature and have an alternate GIF available for those without a detectable flash player, you need to choose
the flash, html, and GIF or JPG checkboxes (as you did) and then click on the html tab at the top of the publish settings and choose
a "template" other than the default.  The templates labeled "Ad..." all support this feature, and more about the specifics of each
"Ad" template can be found by clicking on the "info" button after selecting it.

For example, if you selected "Ad Any Banner" this will create the necessary code to detect Flash 3, 4, or 5.  If the code finds the
plug-in,  your flash piece will be shown, otherwise your substitute GIF will be shown.

Keep in mind that you will not see your substituted GIF or JPG unless you are viewing your published html page with a browser that
does not have the flash plug-in.

2) I think the easiest method for grabbing a GIF or JPG of a specific frame is to go to that frame in Flash and then choose
"file/export image", be sure to choose "Full Document Size" from the "Include" pulldown (this is a choice during export) so that
your image is the same size as your Flash movie.  The next step is to substitute the exported image in your detection code, you can
do this by simply overwriting the auto-exported image that was a product of the Publishing feature (use the exact same file name),
or you can alter the references to the image in the code (the code should probably have two references to the image).

Hope this helps,
Nathan Steiner
www.web-graphics.com

PS - all references to the Flash interface are assuming that you are using Flash 5