[thelist] Migrating a big site out of frames

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 07:00:29 CDT 2001

> From: Cory Preus <cory_preus at cnt.com>
[...]
> I ask: what suggestions do people have for moving out of frames? We
> primarily would like every static HTML page bookmarkable with the
> navigation traditional frames provide. I'm thinking a
> multi-find/replace inserting a little IFRAMES code is a temporary fix
> (save lots of work and gives the pages absolute URLs, yet allows for
> universal changing of the navigation). Any other thoughts?

why would you go to iframes?  less support with all the caveats of
real frames, except URLs?

here's my suggestion, without knowing a darn thing about the site
or hosting situation...

- make every frame document, other than the content frame, an
include file...

- call that/those include file(s) in appropriate places in all your
content pages...

- have a beer...

yes, it can be that easy, it has been for me on a couple
conversions for clients... it could also be more convoluted, but
that's probably still the best approach...