[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Schaz schaz at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 11 09:29:42 CDT 2001

I have one thing to say on the eyecandy/glitz etc - BOO.COM - remember
*that* site?
All eye-candy, only IE could properly use it (on PC!!!!!!!!!!!), I could go
on about that site but wont.

I'm still getting horrible nightmares about miss boo

At 12:22 AM 12/07/01, you wrote:
>Maybe it's not the users who need educating. Could it be your clients? Isn't
>that your job? They aren't the web experts, you are. While it's unrealistic
>to think you'll convince them to get rid of all the flash and dhtml and
>pop-up windows and font tags and ..., you'll surely knock *some* sense into
>them.
>
>Eye candy is much like a shocking commercial. The viewer will notice it the
>first time they see it, but will more or less ignore it when he/she sees it
>times after that. If your site is 80% eye candy, why would any user ever
>return to your site?
>
>All of your arguments thus far have been based on either (a) pushing users
>where you want them to be, or (b) decisions you can make because of the
>target audience to which *YOU* develop. You're doing what A List Apart has
>done. But, just like A List Apart, not everyone can do that. Not everyone
>has target audiences like you do and like ALA does. You're making faulty
>generalizations based upon your specific situation.
>
>Similarly, evolt.org doesn't need to be flashy. So, why block out some
>users? I mean, maybe we would be blocking out 3% if we added some "glitz",
>but we don't need glitz. We're a content site. We need content. People don't
>come back to evolt.org do gawk at its stylesheet and page structure. They
>come for content. That's our target audience... people who like content. So,
>we focus on that and don't add glitz that would only distract from what our
>users want to see.

)O(
Giggles & Moonbeams
Schaz

- Get a taste for religion, Lick a Witch!

Please click on the sites below - they need your help!
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
http://www.thehungersite.com
http://www.therainforestsite.com
http://www.thekidsaidssite.com