[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Wed Jul 11 09:41:51 CDT 2001

Well, as said in my first post:

"If you're coding a vanity site or something tailored to a specific market
(a
Pepsi kids site for instance) then go ahead, bust a gut. If you're catering
to the business market however then KISS - most business users aren't
looking for glitz and glamour anyway, they're looking for information."

As your clients are catering to the "glitz" market, then fine - your point
is correct. If they're catering to a business market then your points are
pretty pigheaded. However the web isn't a case of one solution for everyone.
Hopefully as a responsible webdesigner (and I assume from your comments
you're a designer more than a programmer) you'll design for the required
market. Sure it *can* be more fun to design with all the latest gizmos and
tricks, but imho it's *more* fun to create sites full of useful content and
services. I'm very glad though that other people are out there working for
the Pepsi's of this world as that's certainly not "Where I want to be.".
Give me substance over style any day :-)

" Maybe if those 'locked down'
> businesses see that
> their IT dept is locking them out of being able to leverage certain
> technologies, they will can some of those stupid geeks they
> have and get
> some real geeks."

Locking down PCs is usually done in large companies to
1) Reduce the amount of support problems within the company
2) Reduce internal use of pirated software
3) Keep a standard platform within the company

It's pretty apparent that you work for the consumer market and not the
business market. Again I would say that different approaches work for
different markets.

> You're displaying text and a few jpgs/gifs.  I hope you
> didn't have to write
> too many work-arounds

Yup - and I'm proud of what we have done with those "basic" technologies.
Our market is business users (even though our product revolves around
entertainment) - I've had to explain to people one time too many why they
can't use a Flash/Shockwave/Java application. We took a design decision to
use the base technologies for everything essential on our site and maybe to
add some "non-essential" eye candy later.

I guess in summary I can say that your argument seems to say that everyone
should forge ahead into a brave new world. My counter to that will always be
that that's not the solution for everyone. Assess your market and react
accordingly.

I'm outta here now as pretty much anything else I say will always come back
to the same point.

.steve

Steve Cook
web strategist