[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 09:43:36 CDT 2001

> I am catering to the 'glitz' market, (Pepsi and such).  I enjoy very much
> working with the 'glitz' technology.  I also cater to the broadband market
> and enjoy very much working with the set of tools offered me there.

Okay now I see. When you mentioned e-commerce I assumed that you built
shopping carts and the like. That isn't the place for 'glitz' as far as
I'm concerned.

Sites like Pepsi on the other hand are a different matter. They want
people to go to their site, play around, have some fun then leave,
preferably with a Pepsi screensaver/wallpaper. That kind of site is much
more interested in getting a brand/image across than providing content or
making sales.

For that kind of site - I think your stance is not far off, and I agree
that you'll never be short of clients who want that. But I wouldn't try
using your approach for actually selling stuff, like Schaz just said
boo.com springs to mind as a counter-example.

As for evolt, it's designed to cater for a totally different audience - I
happen to think its design fits just right.

Simon