[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Jul 11 11:16:06 CDT 2001

>pushy and clueless marketing type that I've dealt
> with in the past

That comment...

> an "I don't care -- just do it" attitude.

combined with that comment...

> maybe half the marketing
> people I've dealt with would stop and listen but it's the other half that
> hurts.

combined with that comment, is why I made this comment...

> > I hated marketing.

> LOL! There's a good story in there, I can tell.

and is also why my ‘story’ is mostly related to the others in marketing who
behave like they own the planet. Everyone’s a marketer in one way or
another, we just don’t act like marketers, thank god.

> Do you know what the
> customer wants *on the web*? And do you know the consequences of what your
> customer wants? Building a website is all about decisions and compromises
> and scenarios.

Generally speaking, yes, I knew as well as anyone else did when I was in
industrial marketing. That’s how I got into the web business. I think if a
marketer doesn’t know the web these days as well as he or she knows any
other medium, they’re not worth a sh*t. It’s bigger than TV in some circles!
How can you not know it?

I realize there are many marketers out there who don’t know the web still,
but they’re fading quickly into upper management (scary!). The ones who are
left over or soon to be left over are the ones who should absolutely
understand browser compatibility, usability, accessibility, page views vs.
sessions, click-stream patterns, etc. You don’t have to know much to be a
marketer, but to be a good one, you have to know a little about everything,
and these days, that includes the web and especially how it’s used by your
customers.

In turn, being a web developer means that you have to know who you’re
working with as well, i.e., know how a marketer thinks and how their
customers think.

Sorry, sorry, sorry for ranting on and on when we all have work to do. I
promise tips when I have anything worthwhile!

BH