[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 19:25:30 CDT 2001

> From: "Keith" <cache at dowebs.com>
>
> So far this discussion has centered only on e-retailing, a very small
> part of the expenditures in web development. Intranets, extranets and
> B2B development expenditures dwarf the expenditures on e- retailing,
> and have for over 2 years.

it's focused on that because that's how it was started, as a
discussion of e-commerce sites and how some people build 'em...

> This year the medical industry alone will spend more money
> upgrading data sharing to HIPPA standards than all money spent
> on e-retailing development. And where does politically-correct
> design fit in to that? It isn't even relevant in an industry that has
> defined IE5.5 as the entry level browser because of it's support for
> web folders.

AHHH!!!  why couldn't i go one day without hearing about HIPPA?
too many health industry clients, and let me tell you, claims paying
systems with web interfaces are out there, i've worked on a few,
and those TPAs, HMOs, etc., aren't as concerned about the
browser as long as they can do their job...

and let's not forget the documentation you need to pay claims, or
any of the other tasks associated with working in that industry...
intranets, extranets, CMSs, etc., all factor in there, and when you
roll stuff out to doctor's offices, you *do* have to worry about them
running NN3.x... or worse...

nothing quite as painful as a multi-million dollar doctors office who
won't upgrade his machine for $100 so he can send claims over the
wire... multiply that by a thousand in one region... in those cases,
it's absolutely worth it to cater to them, since it's still cheaper than
not getting their data at all...

but i digress...

> But back to e-retailing, since some of you think that's what the web
> really is. The only relevant yard stick in retail, online or offline,
> is return-on-investment (ROI).  It's the only consideration that you
> can take to the bank. Take two designs, (1) works on all browsers and
> closes sales on 5% of all visitors - (2) works on only 4+ browsers and
> closes sales on 10% of all visitors. I'd really like the portfolio of
> any of you that think your design (1) is superior. I've gotta deal to
> offer your client!

overall, that's the message i've been pushing... you gotta know the
audience and build to suit them... adding in accessibility and
degradability is no-brainer with not much added expense...

at least, that's how it is over here...