[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 00:32:19 CDT 2001

> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
> >
> >Depends on the benefit case. If you're working on a site with a tight
> >business case, losing 10% of your users without good reason could be
> >the difference between substantial profit or loss.
>
> Any project which can't take variances of 10% of potential users
> shouldn't be doing it in the first place.  Particularly if losing 10%
> is going to give you a substantial loss.

well, i think boo.com and etoys.com are perfect examples of how
alienating users can hurt the bottom line... that 10% was critical to
them...

look at fuckedcompany.com, and see how many of them relied on
just that thin of a margin to make their business model work (or
fail)...

look at the ones who survive, they seem to either not piss off 10%
of their users, or have a larger buffer...

which is it?

> This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive
> information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If
> you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify
> us promptly. We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability
> for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.

no, i'm keeping it.