[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 02:14:59 CDT 2001

> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
> >
> >and MS actually does a good job of accessibility in their apps,
> >when they do them right...
>
> Accessibility. Not useability or degradeability.  Try running your
> Excel 98 Macros in Excel 2000.  Or worse, vice versa.

didn't i say accessibility?

> You used the magic word - customers.  Stores/malls routinely adopt
> techniques to keep some users out.

yes, it's called security and it's about preventing shoplifting...

> I don't know - Martin came up with the 10%.  An illustration of the
> problem with statistics!

hey, aren't 90% of statistics wrong 10% of the time?  or is vice
versa?

> Actually, is it academic?  aren't the aggregate stats saying you can
> reach 80% of a hell of a lot of people by targeting ie5+?  That's a
> hell of a potential customer base as it is.

and you're still shutting out 20% by targetting only IE5+...

we've come full circle again today, and yet my message hasn't
changed, has it?

[...]
> eg not serving images to Lynx, stuff like that.

no need to worry, Lynx won't request 'em...

> That comment wasn't aimed at you.  it was a general response to a
> couple of earlier responses implying that web designers had a
> responsibility to encourage clients to design degradeable sites.  I
> agree with your approach.

gotcha... and no, i don't think you should force it, but you should
explain it... i think we're on the same page there...