[thelist] Putting keyword meta tags in Include file

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jul 12 03:36:35 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

FrontPage Includes work like this:
You make the included page a normal HTML page.

When you save it to the server, the server strips out all the headers
and footers and dumps what's between the <body> tags into the
appropriate part of all the pages which include it.

This has a few plusses and minuses:
*) Saving an page which is included into many other pages takes a long
   time. This is fine as long as you're not doing it on your production
server
   (mmmm - dev->stage->production)
*) The pages aren't built at run time so you reduce your production server
   load as all it's doing is serving static pages
*) The pages aren't built at run time so you can't use them as a live
update
    facility

(Note that this is also true when you're editing an extraction of an FP
project through InterDev, or even an InterDev extracted extraction with
a text editor - I've run a good few search and replaces across
multi-thousand
page projects and it took a *long* time to do the saves)

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org