[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jul 12 05:09:48 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  RE: [thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

>>This is an additional step to "There are x,000 consumers available in
>>the market, and y% of them are online and we can attract z% of them
>>to the site"
>

>I see what you mean.  Of course, the problem with your above statement is
>that you assume that use statistics apply to the consumers.  All your
>consumers may be in the 80% (or the 20%) in which case it won't make any
>difference.

You've been assuming that all your consumers are in the 80% in all
situations.
Until you have rock solid stats that tell me what the split is (and many
consumers will have multiple responses because they use a home machine
and a work one which will probably have different capabilities), I'm going
to assume that the split for a proposition is the same as the general web
population.

This lowers risk... A Good Thing.

>>The context of this is that it's *another* 10% of customers on top
>>of everything else.
>
>>>  It doesn't matter whether you take them out of the
>>>population or one of your other assumptions are wrong.
>
>>Would you make one of your other assumptions wrong by choice? No.

>assumption : take as being true for purpose of argument and action.  you
>appear to have assumed that adding users adds customers.

My assumptions are:
1) An average sample for any proposition will produce browser stats not
   significantly different to the web using universe unless hard evidence
is
   produced to the contrary for a specific proposition
2) Cutting out users on the basis of their technical platform alone will
affect
    potential customers and non-customers alike
3) Cutting 20% of potential users will also cut 20% of potential customers

oh and
4) Catering for those extra customers isn't a lot of work
Martin

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
computer.