[thelist] Web Marketing (was RE: Old Browsers old Software,

Carroll McDonald frodo_tx at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 08:15:00 CDT 2001

With regard to ----

>I’d be interested in opinions on what does make them
>come back.

I attended one of those "professional association"
meetings a few months ago, with the objective of
networking among the attendees, not expecting to hear
anything really impressive from the presenter.

Surprise!  There was a fascinating discussion of User
Profiling, along with a presentation of how several of
their clients had used the profiling software to
tailor the site to the returning customer.

Disclaimer - a members area with login was needed for
the site being shown.....which limits it's
applicibility. However...........

The example given was an investment firm.  If the
customer used a certain link, and particularly if they
took some action while on that portion of the site,
the profile software recognized this.  The next time
that same customer went to the "home" page (this was
done real time in the demo) the home page presented
itself in a different format. In the exapmle being
demonstrated, an area of the page that had a
presentation of one "offering" was gone, replaced with
information on the "offering" the customer's prior
actions had indicated they had an interest in.

Rather than examine the logs manually or with a
separate software package, the profile software did
the analysis and presented a GU view of what was being
done both by the entire visitor base and/or by a
particular customer.  The "marketing guys" could set
thresholds at which certain features of the site would
"morph" itself to a view that a returning customer
would find interesting and useful. There was also a
more robust look at the "click through path" type of
statistics, but my memory is a little fuzzy on this
part of the presentation.

Looked like a pretty good tool to give value to a
return visit at least for some types of business
sites.

Whadda ya think of the concept?

Regards,

Chuck Sumpter

p.s. - I'm new to "thelist" and chose to get the
digest version.  That's why I'm including a cc
directly to you Bill.  Is that kosher??