[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 08:59:24 CDT 2001

> From: "Brian King" <BKing at Impact-Technologies.com>
>
> ASP can be coded to run either server side or client side.  Client

client-side ASP doesn't really exist... you're thinking (most likely)
of VBScript...

ASP pages can be built with JavaScript, VBScript, PerlScript,
Java, and a few others...

> side scripting has a benefit of offloading tasks from the server to
> the client machine, (can be simple things such as making the client be
> responsible for making the connection to the database).  I am sure
> that you will quote any number of down sides to it too, I don't care.
> I did build an Intranet at a large facility that used a single very
> small IIS server and relied on Client side ASP code for the most part.

i won't quote any downsides to it, because you say you don't
care... but there are at least a dozen off the top of my head (and
that's just down the security path)...

>  It was a fabulous cost saving measure for the facility and
> accomplished the goal, (btw they didn't have any netscape browsers,
> they didn't disallow them either, just made a conscious and public
> decision to not support them if you choose to use it).

that's good, but not what i've been talking about... this whole thread
started with the e-commerce transaction piece... extranets and
intranets are whole different animal -- you have control over the
environment...