[thelist] Choosing app for View Source from IE

Poojie poojie at dccnet.com
Sat Jul 14 13:44:13 CDT 2001

What I have done is replaced Notepad with Metapad (
http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ ), which is a wicked li'l text
editor. It's pretty much everything you have always wanted Notepad
to be. The 3.0 "light" version of the program which has more
features than Notepad including the ability to open really large
files. There is also the normal version 3.0 has more features, but
you may or may not want it depending on your needs.

<tip author="Daryl" type="Replacing Notepad">
Metapad is an excellent Freeware text editor that can be used as a
simple drop replacement for Notepad.

Download metapad ( http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ ), exctract
the files, and rename metapad.exe to notepad.exe. If you are
running Win2000, you will have to get around the OS's system file
radar -- this require replacing the original notepad.exe in three
seperate places in this order:

X:\WINNT\system32\dllcache
X:\WINNT\system32
X:\WINNT

Ignore the warning(s) that pop up.

In Win98, you just have to replace the copy in X:\Windows . In
WinME the process is probably similar to that in Win2k, but since I
don't have it I can't provide exact instructions. Play around.

As for those who are concerned about future problems, I have been
doing this for 2 years now without any troubles. Anything notepad
can do, metapad can do better and since they both support the same
commands, the system can't tell the difference anyway.
</tip>

Daryl