[thelist] PHP, custom max_execution_time for a page

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 16 10:26:58 CDT 2001

Hi John,

Verbatim from the PHP manual:
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php)

set_time_limit (PHP 3, PHP 4 >= 4.0b1)
set_time_limit -- limit the maximum execution time
    void set_time_limit (int seconds)

Set the number of seconds a script is allowed to run. If this is reached,
the script returns a fatal error. The default limit is 30 seconds or, if it
exists, the max_execution_time value defined in the configuration file. If
seconds is set to zero, no time limit is imposed.

When called, set_time_limit() restarts the timeout counter from zero. In
other words, if the timeout is the default 30 seconds, and 25 seconds into
script execution a call such as set_time_limit(20) is made, the script will
run for a total of 45 seconds before timing out.

set_time_limit() has no effect when PHP is running in safe mode. There is no
workaround other than turning off safe mode or changing the time limit in
the configuration file.

Note: The set_time_limit() function and the configuration directive
max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any
time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such
as system calls using system(), the sleep() function, database queries, etc.
is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been
running.

Hope this helps,

Seb.
http://www.sebpotter.org