[thelist] CSS Strangeness

Seb Potter seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 16 17:46:24 CDT 2001

Rachell Coe asked:

| I finally decided to use some CSS on a clients web page, only the CSS
| selectors aren't working.  http://www.jhsnp.com/redone/ The green links
are
| supposed to turn red when the mouse hovers over it, only its been really
hit
| and miss on which ones will work.  Is this a normal problem with CSS
| Selectors?  I coded it using Dreamweaver -- would it work better if I
tried
| to hand code the CSS?

Hi Rachell,

This is a fairly common bump to encounter when first putting together a
stylesheet using selectors. It's the order in which you define the styles
for a:hover and a:visited. You have hover first, which for some reason means
that in IE, it applies the hover style first, then the visited style if
necessary, causing your hover style to be lost for links that have already
been visited.

Quick fix: define your a:link style first, then a:visited, then finally
a:hover

Good luck.

Seb.
http://www.sebpotter.org