[thelist] Form Submission, Saving Info to Disk

Michael Roberto mjr at linkzero.com
Tue Jul 17 00:12:35 CDT 2001

I have a question i've been trying to figure out, here are the
details.  Scenario:  Ever submit a form, maybe a lengthy one,
get an error message on the submission page, go back to the
main form page, and find all the information gone?  I'm sure
this has happened to most people.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to find any of that
information sent via the form?  Is it ever written to someplace
on disk, on your own pc.  I don't know how IE or Netscape work
down on the actual browser code level, so i'm curious if anyone
has any insight.

My specific scenario, I was writing a rather long form entry in
a textarea, I submitted the form got an error, returned and it
was blank.  Now I spent a good deal of time writing this, and of
course should have saved it or done something to potentially give
myself a backup of this text, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

Anyone know if there's anyway to get to this data, or is it more
accurate to say that the data was just temporarily in a memory
buffer, which is most likely overwritten by subsequent actions?

Any insight into a potential workaround would be very helpful.

thanks.
mike.

Mike Roberto
< shriek.net >