[thelist] [fwd] meta keywords

Niklaus Haldimann runciter at rosa.com
Tue Jul 17 09:50:04 CDT 2001

iibiz wrote:
> Whoa.  You can't ignore meta keywords!  You can't rely solely on them
> either.  A good combination of keywords, description, titles and content are
> all important.  Even the article you posted says:

my experience shows you *can* actually ignore meta tags these days. but
of course you shouldn't. meta tags are usually just a supplement you
consider at the very end of a serious search engine optimization process
(the rank write article states that under "What Should I Put in This
Tag?"). far more important are keyphrase-rich titles and content. i even
consider naming files and directories sensitively (ie
somedomain.com/news/chandra_levy/missing_woman_parents.html instead of
somedomain.com/news/256235XYZ.html) more relevant than meta tags, but
that's just me.

perhaps the statement in my previous post was a bit too strong. what i
wanted to say actually was: don't expect to rank high in search engines
by just adding meta tags to your pages. i've seen a lot of people do
that. search engine optimization is something you need to think about
right from the start in the planning stage of a site, because it goes
far beyond meta tags.

N.

--
Niklaus Haldimann, Frontend Engineer