[thelist] AOl proxy cache

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Jul 17 11:17:11 CDT 2001

Regarding the issue of AOL (and others including MSN) caching my site, and
thus skewing my traffic stats, I sent out a message to thelist and got some
great responses, including this one from Seb:

> Generally, you might want to serve up a specific set of headers
> specifically
> for AOL's IP addresses, whereby AOL will not cache your pages and will hit
> the server for each visit. You won't get the visitor's unique IP, but you
> will get a hit for each visitor.

So, I apporached my hosting provider with the idea of configuring Apache to
serve up specific headers. Here's what they said:

> For Caching I believe there is a way of coding where you can specify to
the
> browser that the pages should not be cached. I also think that AOL will
not
> cache PHP pages as they are scripting and can change each single time.

Any comments as to the validity of this statement?

Thanks a million in advance.

BH