[thelist] [the list] Netscape 4.7 table troubles

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Tue Jul 17 11:29:51 CDT 2001

Janet cried in the wilderness:
> So, I'm doing a redesign of our home page and trying to get a table
> to flow across the top of the entire page.  This works find in IE,
> but I have a white gap on the righthand side of the table in Netscape
> 4.76.
> I'm using percentages and I've adjusted all the percentages to add up
> to 100% and the table width is set at 100%.  Would the code in the
> mouseovers cause this?  I don't think so, but I'm at my wits end and
> really want to know what's up with this....

Hi Janet,

Take a close look at the difference between IE and NN. Notice how the
scrollbar is visible, but disabled, in IE, and not visible at all in NN?
Notice how that gap is roughly the width of your scrollbar?

Now, you can fix this by putting in a background colour that is the same as
your top nav, but that turns your page blue.

The other fix I can suggest is a 4-pixel by several-thousand-pixel
babkground image, where the top 34 pixels are the same blue as your top nav.

Of course, the issue goes away if your page is longer than the vertical size
of your visible browser area, at which point such a bakground image becomes
redundant.

<sarcasm type="dripping">Yay! Netscape!</sarcasm>

Seb.
http://www.sebpotter.org