[thelist] Mailto Question REDUX

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Tue Jul 17 11:56:42 CDT 2001

|  i believe it should be %13

Hi Michael,

Your right, it is character 13. But, since computers have their own, but
just as valid and honorable, way of talking to each other as we humans, they
write it as %0D. Just as the space, character 32, is written as %20.

<grin>
I don't want to put anyone off with the satire of respect of diversity
above. I was at a library vision focus group last night, and began to
perceive again that sometimes we get _way_ too politically correct. One of
the refreshing things about this list -- people aren't.
</grin>

<tip type="nitty gritty ASCII">
Sometimes, when dealing with the lower level of computer architecture, we
have to put up with arcane and exotic representations of our own creativity.
ASCII is one of them. But, depending on whether you are coding in a high
level representation of information, like HTML, which uses decimal, or a low
level representation, like a file system, which uses hex, you will represent
your data (or your links) differently.

For a good, basic, nearly universally applicable translation, you can go to
the value of the character and switch among hex, decimal, and binary. You
just have to make sure you are dealing with the right encoding (generally
ASCII or UNICODE). There are some online tables:

ASCII: http://www.neurophys.wisc.edu/www/comp/docs/ascii.html
Windows Unicode (NT/2000):
http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP936.TXT
Unicode in general:
http://www.unicode.org/

</tip>

<rory disposition="considerately" alt="8)"/>